Pages


Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Awesome Harry Potter Birthday Cake!

Awesome Harry Potter Birthday Cake

My twelve-year-old sister has an obsession. It's an obsession that I, as well as the majority of the human population, shares. In fact, the thing she obsesses over is probably one of my favorite things, aside from perhaps eating and sleeping. Have you guessed what the obsession is? I'll give you a hint: It's the best book series. Ever. 

Honestly, who doesn't have a Harry Potter obsession?


When my sister's birthday rolled around, nobody was surprised when she requested a Harry Potter birthday cake.  What did surprise my family was that we were actually able to create a cake that bore some resemblance to the famed book series. Obviously the easy way to honor my sister's request would be to but a cake, but in our family we absolutely refuse to buy birthday cakes. It's pretty much a cardinal sin. 

Now, being an exemplary specimen of an older sister, I volunteered to make Grace's birthday cake. Here's how it came out: 

Surprisingly, the cake was pretty easy to make. I simply made a batch of confetti cake batter by using a boxed mix (yes, cheating, I know!) and baked it in a princess castle cake mold that we had hidden away somewhere from an earlier birthday. Once the cake was baked I made some homemade buttercream frosting, colored it with purple food dye, and frosted the "Hogwarts Castle." I also made a batch of yellow frosting which I used to frost the turrets and the ice-cream cones we used to give the cake some dimension. While the cake was still baking, I went onto Google and printed out a bunch of Harry Potter cartoon characters. I cut these out and taped them to toothpicks which I later stuck on the cake. I also added some vanilla wafer cookies, pretzel M&Ms, and generic Lucky Charms cereal to embellish the cake.

The fruit of my labors was a beautiful cake that was a hit with the twelve-year-olds, tasted delicious, and was actually quite easy to make. Even yelling "Acio birthday cake!" would not have produced better results!


See it on Pinterest 

No comments:

Post a Comment